Re: mqueue puzzle

From: Barry Finkel (b19141@ACHILLES.CTD.ANL.GOV)
Date: Thu May 08 2003 - 09:51:15 EDT

>For the last few days, my /var/spool/mqueue has been filling up with
>undelivered mail. When I do a mailq -v, there are no warning messages.
> Yet, the mail sits there. This problem appears to be size related.
>At first I thought I had a majordomo problem because messages to lists
>are predominant, but messages to lists with only a few subscribers zip
>right through. I then tried sending attachments. Messages with small
>ones zip right through. Large ones sit in the mqueue. Any light anyone
>could shed on this would be greatly appreciated.

When you issue the "mqueue" command, what error messages appear with
the mail that is queued? What messages appear in /var/log/syslog
when sendmail attempts to deliver the mail? In the /var/spool/mqueue
directory the qf files have an error line similar to this one from
a piece of mail queued on one of my sendmail systems:

     MDeferred: Connection refused by relay.mx.skynet.be.

and that same error message appears in the output of "mailq":

     HAB15580 2786 Thu May 8 07:00 owner-argonne-today
                 (Deferred: Connection refused by relay.mx.skynet.be.)
                                   claudia.goddio@skynet.be
Sometimes the error message in "mailq" is truncated, so you have to look
in the qf file to see the full error message.
Barry S. Finkel
Computing and Instrumentation Solutions Division
Argonne National Laboratory Phone: +1 (630) 252-7277
9700 South Cass Avenue Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-4601
Building 222, Room D209 Internet: BSFinkel@anl.gov
Argonne, IL 60439-4828 IBMMAIL: I1004994