Re: Adding Addl Disk to Volume Group

From: Green, Simon (Simon.Green@EU.ALTRIA.COM)
Date: Fri May 02 2003 - 12:28:38 EDT

If you created your filesystem with the defaults, it will be restricted to
64GB in size. You can increase the underlying logical volume by more than
that, but not the filesystem.

The key parameter is nbpi. Take a look at the man page for the crfs
command. This shows the maximum filesystem size with various combinations.

You may already realise this, but there is not a 1 to 1 relationship between
Volume Groups and either Physical or Logical Volumes: you can have many
Physical Volumes in a Volume Group - up to 32, normally. You may also have
many Logical Volumes, which may share Physical Volumes if you wish.

Unless you have a particular requirement for a single, very large filesystem
you may find it more convenient to allocate your space amongst several
filesystems. That way, when you need to perform maintenance tasks such as
fsck you're dealing with a smaller unit, which can make your life easier and
provide a better service for your users.

Simon Green
Altria ITSC Europe s.a.r.l.

N.B. Unsolicited email from vendors will not be appreciated.