Re: Copying and insuring directory and subdirectory contents have been synchronized.

From: Corey A (cantone@CHECKFREE.COM)
Date: Fri Apr 25 2003 - 10:26:10 EDT

rdist

| | Davis Kriss P |
| | <kpdavis@ILSTU.ED|
| | U> |
| | Sent by: IBM AIX |
| | Discussion List |
| | <aix-l@Princeton.|
| | EDU> |
| | |
| | 04/25/2003 09:10 |
| | AM |
| | Please respond to|
| | IBM AIX |
| | Discussion List |
| | |
  | |
  | To: aix-l@Princeton.EDU |
  | cc: |
  | Subject: Copying and insuring directory and subdirectory contents have been synchronized. |

I was wondering if anyone here has a suggestion or script to share on
this.

I really don't need a byte comparison, what I would like to know is if
the filesizes are different primarily and/or change dates. The contents
of the files will probably follow along if the sizes mesh.

Every once in awhile, the users of one of our UNIX applications want a
copy of the data in the LIVE/PRODUCTION subdirectories placed into the
TEST subdirectories.

Logged in as root, I use:

cd /datatel/live/collive

cp -pr DATA /datatel/work/c16test/

The intent is to get everything in DATA and its subdirectories from
collive to c16test.

This actually works pretty well EXCEPT it does not copy all the files
and does not output an error message when it skips one.

We have one or two data files that are REALLY huge and their names
change periodically. These do not copy over I think because there is no
room to hold two copies of the file while the copy command completes.

It would be nice to know this has happened so you could go back and copy
the individual files after the global copy or better yet, have a better,
more durable copy method.

I was also thinking of building a script with rm commands in it for some
of the bigger files to allow the cp command more space to work.

I do not see a VERBOSE option for cp anywhere to help me know an
individual file was not copied.

The DATA directory and its subdirectories have several GIG of data and
files in them and doing a stanard recursive DIF is real output
intensive.

Any ideas on how to make this more bulletproof or at least have some
output to know there was a problem?

Thanks in advance,

Kriss Davis
Ill. State University