remote mtu on ethernet adapter

From: John Jolet (john.jolet@FXFN.COM)
Date: Thu Apr 17 2003 - 11:33:43 EDT

In investigating an odd io wait condition on one of my boxes, we were looking at the ethernet card to see if the wait might be network-related. This card (and, it appears, all our other boxes' cards) has an mtu of 1500, and a remmtu of 576. It appears that the box is fragementing all outgoing packets? is this true? when we do a chdev on that and set the remmtu to 1500, it says changed, but the value stays the same. This box is ONLY talking to other ethernet hosts, everyone should be talking 1500, and infact netstat -r shows a discovered mtu of 1500 for a bunch of paths....does this mean we don't need to worry about the remmtu?