Re: Directory Conventions for Utilities?

From: Jim McDonald (jmcdon23@CSC.COM.AU)
Date: Tue Apr 15 2003 - 18:22:23 EDT

Hi

Actually AIX is becoming more like the rest of Unix with /opt/<your
binaries>

The big stuff go for /opt/<your binaries>
/opt by convention is static i.e. no logs (AIX puts logs in strange places
on other Unices they wouldn't go there)
If size justifies it create a /opt filesystem.

Small utilities /usr/local/bin but if you want to separated from apps go
for something likke /usr/local/<admin or name of your choice>

Regards
Jim McDonald
Internal mail use: James McDonald
CSC
L1,15 Help St, Chatswood
Ph: 9464-4743 Email: jmcdon23@csc.com.au

This email, including any attachments, is intended only for use by the
addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or personal information and
may also be the subject of legal privilege. Any personal information
contained in this email is not to be used or disclosed for any purpose
other than the purpose for which you have received it. If you are not the
intended recipient, you must not disclose or use the information contained
in it. In this case, please let me know by return email, delete the message
permanently from your system and destroy any copies.

Tim Muller <aix_sa_706@YAHOO.COM>@Princeton.EDU> on 16/04/2003 03:59:57 AM

Please respond to IBM AIX Discussion List <aix-l@Princeton.EDU>

Sent by: IBM AIX Discussion List <aix-l@Princeton.EDU>