Re: WTMP file

From: MARLON BORBA (MBORBA@TRF3.GOV.BR)
Date: Thu Apr 03 2003 - 13:47:36 EST

My US$ 0.02.

Are you sure the 'logins' registered in wtmp are valid ones? There are several problems who could cause unexpected growing of that file, e.g. malfunctioning terminals, incomplete telnet connections, users who log on but don't close their connection properly etc.

Remember also that startup/shutdown and service activation are all logged into wtmp so it grows quickly.

HTH,

Marlon.

/*
Marlon Borba
Divisao de Suporte Tecnico
TRF 3a. Regiao
(11) 3311-4683 e 9692-8357
mborba@trf3.gov.br - marlonborba@acm.org
-------
Association for Computing Machinery
Member #UK42160
Internet Society
Member #1330387
*/

>>> Bill_Verzal@BCBSIL.COM 03/04/03 14:32 >>>
> wtmp is just as clean.
Bill Verzal
Technical Consultant
Forbes Technical Consulting
(312) 653-3684
bill_verzal@bcbsil.com
billverzal@imcingular.com (Pager)
888-428-4025 (Pager)
MailStop: 27.202B

"Hambleton, John S." <jhamblet@NMU.EDU>
Sent by: "IBM AIX Discussion List" <aix-l@Princeton.EDU>
04/03/2003 11:03 AM
Please respond to "IBM AIX Discussion List"