Re: AIX 5.1 / 64-bit Kernel / No JFS2

From: James Jackson (James.Jackson@MAIL.STATE.AR.US)
Date: Thu Mar 27 2003 - 11:03:02 EST

For some reason, IBM went through several hoops to provide us with an
e-fix to add the dio mount option for 5.1-JFS2. I don't recall the
specific timing, but we were working with p690's, which of course
require 5.1, and I don't think 4.3.3 ML10 was available yet. But this
was well over a year ago, and my memory has already grown fuzzy.

The reason you describe is precisely why we chose to use the dio mount
option, since Oracle hadn't implement O_DIRECT in the AIX distro. Dio
was identified as a means to avoid the VMM becoming a bottleneck for a
datawarehousing app.