Re: Formula for sizing jfslog

From: Green, Simon (Simon.Green@EU.ALTRIA.COM)
Date: Thu Mar 27 2003 - 10:51:54 EST

I've seen some estimates based on the size of the VG, but I believe that the
requirement is also dependent on the way the filesystems are used.

I like to have multiple jfslogs, each a single PP, as I have found that on
active systems the jfslog can become a performance bottleneck. There's no
need to go too far, though: on a large and heavily used VG I might go for
4-6 jfslogs. If you're doing that it's important to place them on different
disks than the filesystems which are using them.

If you have the opportunity, I think it's quite a good idea to extend hd8 to
two partitions - particularly if you have a small PP size, such as 4MB. You
probably won't need it but if you _do_ it's a lot of trouble to change at
short notice. This isn't so important if you manage to keep extraneous
filesystems out of rootvg.

Simon Green
Altria ITSC Europe s.a.r.l.