Re: AIX 5.1 / 64-bit Kernel / No JFS2

From: James Jackson (James.Jackson@MAIL.STATE.AR.US)
Date: Wed Mar 26 2003 - 12:05:23 EST

Actually, yes, you can run JFS2 filesystems on the 32-bit kernel, but
IBM strongly discourages it. On previous installations, we experienced
a significant number of system instability and filesystem corruption
problems with JFS2 on AIX 5.1 ML2 with the 32-bit kernel.

Unfortunately, we were driven to our 32-bit/JFS2 decision due to the
availability of Oracle 8i for 64-bit as well as our desire to have some
of the performance enhancements introduced by JFS2, namely a direct-I/O
mount option.

IBM addressed all of the problems in 5.1 ML3, but they still maintain
that JFS2 was designed and optimized for the 64-bit kernel.

Your mileage will vary.

HTH,

James Jackson