Ping & traceroute

From: Asmah Julaili Othman (julaili@MAIL.HUKM.UKM.MY)
Date: Wed Mar 19 2003 - 23:36:24 EST

Hi all,

I run a ping & traceroute test to and from my server.

The ping test reply is below 5 seconds (from pc to server & server to pc), but the traceroute from pc to server is 54sec, and from server to pc is 70 sec.

Whenever this happens my client will not be able to connect the application to the server.

Under normal weather, if the ping test < 5sec & traceroute < 5sec, my client's application can connect to the server.

Can anyone help me to interpret the ping and traceroute results

thanks.