Re: System errors

From: Bill Thompson (wht@NEO.RR.COM)
Date: Thu Mar 13 2003 - 18:35:05 EST

Gabriella

I'm surprised you didn't get a lot of responses to this.

First of all, /var/adm/ras/errlog is NOT the same thing as
/var/adm/syslog/syslog.log

/var/adm/ras/errlog is a binary file created by the errlog daemon.

/var/adm/syslog/syslog.log is an ASCII file created by the syslog daemon.

You can create the equivalent of the HP syslog.log file on an AIX system.
You simply need to modify /etc/syslog.conf then recycle the syslog daemon.
However, you must be familiar with the format of the syslog.conf file and
you should be aware that syslogd is under control of the system resource
controller (src) so you must stop and start it with the stopsrc/startsrc
command. I typically do this on my AIX systems simply because it gives me a
second source of information and it allows others that are not familiar with
AIX to view system messages.

The errlog file contains highly detailed information about system errors.
(There is no equivalent for this on an HP-UX system.) As I said before,
/var/adm/ras/errlog is not an ASCII file. To view the contents, you need to
get familiar with the "errpt" command. Enter "errpt" by itself on the
command line and you will get a list of entries in the errlog file. Type
"errpt -a | more" and you will get detailed information (20 or more lines)
about each entry. Take a look at the man page for "errpt".

I hope this helps. Let us know if you need more help on this.

Bill Thompson
Sr UNIX Systems Administrator
The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co.

Contains Confidential and/or Proprietary Information
May Not Be Copied or Disseminated Without Express Consent of The Goodyear
Tire & Rubber Company.

AIX-L Archives: http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=aix-l&r=1&w=2