Re: Using the two ports on an IBM 3153 terminal

From: Bruce Harvey (BruceH@ROUTESCAPE.COM)
Date: Mon Mar 03 2003 - 10:05:48 EST

How many wires are in the cables for the Null Modem and the Direct cables?
The 'DCE' Aux port should use a direct cable, and as such, you may be using
an old printing cable that has all 25 lines pulled, providing all of the
necessary signals. The null modem cable may only have transmit, receive,
and ground (albeit with Tx and Rx reversed somewhere along the line), but
the host needs what's known as a 'full' null-modem cable (not really full,
but you'll see below). Here is the pinout of that cable, assuming a
'25-pin' D-shell type connector:

        2 --------- 3
        3 --------- 2
        4 --------- 5
        5 --------- 4
        6 --------- 20

        8
        7 --------- 7
        20 -------- 6

                            8

This translates to:

        Tx --------- Rx
        Rx --------- Tx
        RTS --------- CTS
        CTS --------- RTS
        DSR --------- DTR

        DCD
        Gnd --------- Gnd
        DTR -------- DSR

                              DCD

(I may have CTS and RTS reversed ... it's been a while ;-). Note that both
DSR (DataSetReady) and DCD (DataCarrierDetect) are tied to the opposite's
DTR (DataTerminalReady). This is usually the biggest pain of creating
these cables. Standard IBM cables for this purpose should do this, but if
they're old cables, leads may have become broken, etc. Ask an old-timer how
to "ohm-out" a cable.

One more thing: Make sure the system port on the system using the Main port
is set up exactly the same as the one using the AUX port (since that's
operating correctly).

Should work after this, if all the equipment is in order. You might also
try adding (with the appropriate M-M or F-F adapters) the Null Modem cable
to the existing straight cable that works on the AUX ... and plugging that
whole thing into the Main port. If the cable is correct, it'll work.

Bruce T. Harvey (Special Projects)
bth@comcast.net -- bruceh@routescape.com
410-236-5721 (cell) -- 410-403-2390 (off.)
Insight Distribution Systems / CoAxis, Inc.
Hunt Valley, Maryland U.S.A. 21031-1422