Re: accessing a system with high load

From: Green, Simon (Simon.Green@EU.ALTRIA.COM)
Date: Sun Mar 02 2003 - 14:51:35 EST

There are obviously some security implications for leaving root logged on.
Probably not too bad if it's in a physically secure location.

I've had problems with this sort of thing in the past. Our SP2 CWS is an
F50 with a graphics console. Sometimes, people leave this logged on,
(despite the big red label telling them not to!). When I'm over there
trying to do some work it's a real pain if I don't know the password. This
is probably not so much of a problem with root, as anyone who's actually
permitted to use the console probably knows the root password.

I've also had problems in the past with CDE screen-savers and the monitor's
power-save features. Sometimes I've found it difficult to actually enter
the password to unlock the session. (I know how to do this, now, but it's
still a bit fiddly.)

There's potential for inconvenience if you're doing remote support and want
to log that root session off for any reason.

I still think that the best solution to the problem is to have a good
monitoring system so that you can take action before things impact your
users.

Simon Green
Altria ITSC Europe s.a.r.l.

AIX-L Archive at http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=aix-l