Re: SAN Boot question

From: Lloyd Dieter (ldieter@SNRGY.COM)
Date: Sat Feb 22 2003 - 10:19:24 EST

Bill,

Yes, but as of 10/2002, it was definitely NOT supported, although it is
possible to get it to work; we did it on p660's and p690's.

In November 2002, IBM was supposed to have been releasing a version of SDD
that would allow you to explicitly exclude rootvg; doing so would allow
you to boot without having SDD "get in the way" during the boot process.

I did not check to see if they actually did so, as I have been engaged in
other projects, and we were able to get it working with the older code.

As I recall, we installed to a single FC drive (ESS, and used only 1 path
to the ESS), then added the additional paths, and lastly installed SDD.
We mirrored to the internal SCSI HDD, and this worked OK. The one glitch
that we did run into was related to the Inrange FC/9000 directors that we
were running through when we booted the 690: you could NOT change the boot
device via SMS. Attempting to do so would cause the machine to dump. The
only way to alter the boot device was via the "bootlist" command when the
system was up. This was supposed to be fixed by a code update to the
FC/9000, that we have not applied yet.

To reiterate: this was NOT supported, although we found that it would
work. The customer wanted to mirror from local to ESS drives for DR
purposes, and so decided that this unsupported workaround was acceptable
until the newer code became available.

In short, it should work, but allow extra time to set this up, as it will
likely require some experimentation. Then again, the newer SDD code may
make the whole process (above) obsolete.

Good luck!

-Lloyd

On Fri, 21 Feb 2003 15:38:43 -0600
Bill Verzal <Bill_Verzal@BCBSIL.COM> wrote:

> Hi *,
>
> I've managed to boot my P670 off the SAN. I have a P670 connected via a
> SINGLE 6228 FC adapter, across a SINGLE FABRIC, connected to a model F20
> Shark.
>
> Now the question: What happens when I go DUAL FABRIC? How do you boot
> from the Subsystem Device Driver ? Anyone done this ?
>
> Or rather than using the SDD, do I instead carve 2 LUNs, install 2 FC
> adapters in the P670, attach one to each fabric, and then assign each
> separate LUN to the individual adapter. Then I can do LVM mirroring
>
> This way, I am protected from a fabric outage, FC adapter outage, and by
> using the Shark, I am protected from a disk crash.
>
> Has anyone done this ? Or is this just overly complex ?
>
> BV
> --------------------------------- Bill Verzal
> Technical Consultant
> Forbes Technical Consulting
> (312) 653-3684
> bill_verzal@bcbsil.com
> billverzal@imcingular.com (Pager)
> 888-428-4025 (Pager)
> MailStop: 27.202B
>
> **********
> The information contained in this communication is confidential,
> private, proprietary, or otherwise privileged and is intended only for
> the use of the addressee. Unauthorized use, disclosure, distribution or
> copying is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have
> received this communication in error, please notify the sender
> immediately at (312)653-6000 in Illinois; (972)766-6900 in Texas; or
> (800)835-8699 in New Mexico.**********

    Lloyd Dieter        -       Senior Technology Consultant
                     Registered Linux User 285528
   Synergy, Inc.   http://www.synergyinc.cc   ldieter@snrgy.com
             Main:585-389-1260    fax:585-389-1267