Re: Migrating to new SSA's

From: Green, Simon (Simon.Green@EU.ALTRIA.COM)
Date: Tue Feb 11 2003 - 10:42:46 EST

If you have a large partition size for your existing volume group, (32MB, I
believe, for 18GB drives), then you can simply add the disks in with
extendvg - perhaps one or two at a time - and move everything over with
migratepv. I guess from your post that this is not possible.

If you have a smaller PP size - 8GB would be default for 4GB disks - you
won't be able to do this. You could switch it to a BIG VG and change the
factor to allow you to add 18GB disks, but I wouldn't advise this as I've
found BIG VGs to have performance issues when running LVM commands.

So you're left with backing up all of the data and restoring it to the new
disks, or doing a disk-to-disk copy.

This needn't be too painful. You have the luxury of being able to set up
the new VG at your leisure. Ideally, it would be nice to do this on a
different server, so that you can give the LVs and filesystems the names you
really want. Failing that, stick an additional prefix or suffix onto
everything.

If it were me, I'd create the new VG, with different names for the LVs and
filesystems. Then, at a suitable time, I'd change all of the old
filesystems to Read-Only, and copy all of the data across to the new ones,
using cpio.

Another way would be using cplv. You then use chfs to change the
filesystems to point to the new LVs, (not forgetting JFS Logs).

Once it's all done, you can use chfs and chlv to change the names to
whatever you fancy.

You can do the copies in parallel to some extent - the number will depend on
your SSA configuration but two at a time shouldn't cause a problem. Give a
little thought to where in the loops the disks are.

If you plan to mirror, do that afterwards.

Remember if you're changing filesystem names that you must re-mount a
filesystem before changing the name of any filesystems mounted below it, or
the mount point won't be created. (Not a big deal, but it's a minor pain if
you forget.)

Finally, script everything in advance, for your convenience and to avoid
typos.

Simon Green
Altria ITSC Europe s.a.r.l.

AIX-L Archive at http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=aix-l