Re: Disabling ftp and email

From: Klaus Oberle (Klaus.Oberle@LINDE-MH.DE)
Date: Thu Feb 06 2003 - 06:13:06 EST

One VERY simple way is to rename the binaries temporarily.

e.g.
/usr/bin/ftp => /usr/bin/ftp.deactivated
/usr/bin/mail => /usr/bin/mail.deactivated

/klaus

Klaus Oberle
IT Administration
Linde Material Handling
Aschaffenburg / Germany
klaus.oberle@linde-mh.de
www.linde.com

                      "Green, Simon"
                      <Simon.Green@EU. An: aix-l@Princeton.EDU
                      ALTRIA.COM> Kopie:
                      Gesendet von: Thema: Disabling ftp and email
                      IBM AIX
                      Discussion List
                      <aix-l@Princeton
                      .EDU>

                      06.02.2003 11:47
                      Bitte antworten
                      an IBM AIX
                      Discussion List

I've got a Disaster Recovery test coming up soon, and our customer wants to
run some work in order to check performance.

In order to prevent this from interfering with the real production systems
-
all of these systems are on the same network - I need to disable outgoing
FTP and email from some of the DR systems.

What is the simplest way of doing this?

At the moment, I'm thinking of commenting out ftp in /etc/inetd.conf, and
removing /etc/sendmail.cf.

Any reason that won't work? Any neater solutions?

Simon Green
Altria ITSC Europe s.a.r.l.

If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail
in error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail.
Any unauthorised copying, disclosure or distribution of the material
in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.
the views of Linde Material Handling.

Since January 2002 we use the e-mail domain linde-mh.de instead
of linde-fh.de.

This mail has been swept for the presence of computerviruses.