Styles of posting - please don't answer!

From: Green, Simon (SGreen@KRAFTEUROPE.COM)
Date: Thu Jan 23 2003 - 06:01:04 EST

Please don't reply to this unless you have read through the archives on this
and have something genuinely new to contribute!

We've discussed this on several occasions in the past and the consensus has
been that we like things fine the way they are.

The way you describe reduces the number of posts, but we don't get so many
that it's a problem at the moment. The only real advantage is in cutting
out all the people posting similar replies to relatively trivial questions.

There are several disadvantages.
First is that it relies on the original poster to provide a summary. This
may be difficult for them if there is no firm conclusion, or they are unable
to test it for several weeks.

Second, who is to say what others may find interesting? You may post a
suggestion that doesn't help, so doesn't make it to the summary. But maybe
I would find it useful for something else.

Third, maybe one reply will trigger another idea from someone else, or
they'll spot a mistake.

Fourth, if I'm busy I may delete a post without reading it. If posts are
stilling going on that topic when I have more time I might take a look at
it. If everything is being sent direct to the original poster then I'll
never see it again and won't contribute.

Simon Green
Philip Morris ITSC Europe

<SNIP>