Re: Reliability of fsck on mounted filesystems

From: pSeries AIX Geek (aixgeek@YAHOO.COM)
Date: Wed Jan 22 2003 - 20:41:46 EST

Not likely. If it is really messed up, it'll find the
inconsistency and tell you. But, if the system is
making changes while you're trying to verify the
structure, it'll also complain.

My feeling is:

Mounted FS + fsck + NO errors -> FS is OK
Mounted FS + fsck + ERRORS -> Unreliable

So, an fsck on a mounted file system could tell you if
the file system is OK, but not that it's bad. IMHO.

- pAG

--- "Green, Simon" <SGreen@KRAFTEUROPE.COM> wrote:
> I am aware that fsck cannot update a mounted
> filesystem. But it can still
> report errors.
>
> Doing so gives the message: "Checking a mounted
> filesystem does not produce
> dependable results."
>
> Under what circumstances will fsck produce
> undependable results? Could it
> indicate that there are no errors when in fact there
> are?
>
> Has anyone actually seen this for themselves?
>
> Simon Green
> Philip Morris ITSC Europe
>
> AIX-L Archive at
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=aix-l&r=1&w=2
> AIX FAQ at http://www.faqs.org/faqs/aix-faq/
>
> N.B. Unsolicited email from vendors will seldom be
appreciated.