Re: Doubt about mklvcopy

From: Green, Simon (SGreen@KRAFTEUROPE.COM)
Date: Mon Jan 13 2003 - 12:18:29 EST

Despite what the "mirrorvg" command would suggest, all LVM mirroring is done
by logical volume, not volume group. mirrorvg just looks up the LVs in the
volume group and mirrors them all, and does a few other minor odds and ends.
It is perfectly acceptable to have a mix of mirrored and un-mirrored LVs.

There are two ways to create a new, mirrored FS.
One, as you describe, is to create a normal FS then mirror its LV with
mklvcopy.
The second would be to create the LV first, specifying the number of copies,
then create a filesystem on top of it.

I normally prefer to create an unmirrored LV, then mirror it, then create
the filesystem. This gives me more control over the placement of the LV,
either by using maps or with the "-a" flag. I can also make sure that the
PP placement on the two disks is the same, which can make life simpler later
on.

Simon Green
Philip Morris ITSC Europe