Re: secondary paging

From: Green, Simon (SGreen@KRAFTEUROPE.COM)
Date: Thu Jan 09 2003 - 07:22:52 EST

If you are mirroring your rootvg, then you should mirror all paging spaces.
Otherwise you're giving up your protection if you have a disk failure. (The
system will keep running until it needs to page in from the failed disk, at
which point it will probably crash.)

I can't remember if a mirrored dump LV is valid or not: I thought that the
correct way to configure it was to have two dump devices on separate disks.
However, if you have a disk failure it's usually obvious enough that you
don't need a dump to sort it out.

The advantage of having a separate dump LV, rather than using a paging space
is that you can reboot the system quickly and still have access to the dump
for analysis without having to copy it first. You could copy it to a
secondary paging space, (i.e. not hd6), which isn't set to swapon
automatically, but then you've got to remember to activate it manually after
a reboot. I think it still needs to be in rootvg, so that might be awkward
unless you've got a rootvg with many disks in it.

Simon Green
Philip Morris ITSC Europe

AIX-L Archive at http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=aix-l
<http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=aix-l&r=1&w=2> &r=1&w=2