Re: cannot log into the server

From: Tim Hempstead (tim@SEVIGNY.DEMON.CO.UK)
Date: Thu Jan 02 2003 - 09:19:53 EST

Definitely!
I've seen this several times in the past when a system has run out of paging
space; it could be that there's a rogue process, or it could simply be that
there's insufficient paging space.

A power off will be required, which of course means that there could be
problems with filesystems not closed properly, although I've never had any
difficulty under these circumstances.

If a cshutdown has already been attempted, beware that it may still be
hanging around in the background and could kick in once the system's back to
normal! Do a grep for cshut/cstart and kill anything off.

Simon Green
Philip Morris ITSC Europe