AIX 4.3.3 DNS Timeouts?

From: Cooper, Keith (kcooper@SELFREGIONAL.ORG)
Date: Thu Dec 26 2002 - 17:23:38 EST

Hi Guru's. Hope all had a Merry Christmas!

Question:

I am running AIX 4.3.3. I have two nameservers

set up in /etc/resolv.conf.

If I do a nslookup on a machine when both nameservers are up; no
problem.

If I do the same nslookup when the first (in the list) nameserver is
down, I have to

wait approximately 75-90 seconds for the second nameserver to get the
request

and reply.

What can be done to get the timeout for the first request quicker? I
have serched the

Archives and the internet and the only thing that I have found is to set
an environment

Variable RES_TIMEOUT to a small number, but that does not work.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Keith C.

Keith Cooper

Unix Administrator

Self Regional Healthcare
Greenwood, SC USA

IBM AIX System Admin 4.3/System User, A+, Linux+,

Network+, I-Net+ Certified, Compaq APS Certified - Notebooks &
Desktop/Workstations.