Re: Slow Response Time

From: Jim Lane (JLane@TORONTOHYDRO.COM)
Date: Mon Dec 23 2002 - 08:27:24 EST

Linda: do you have your Oracle database on jfs filesystems rather than
raw logical volumes? if so, you should consider a tweak as follows:

 /usr/samples/kernel/vmtune -p10 -P20 {or maybe -P30}

you may see a drastic reduction in your paging space paging rate. I
can't remember now where I ran across this but it's worked wonders for
me.
in more general terms, is this a new configuration entirely or an
upgrade
from something else? what I'm getting at is, who decided that it
should
be big enough to stand the load? and how did they decide this? you may
not have bad performance, you may just have too small a system.
also, are you running imports at the same time as you're trying to do
other work? I'm no DBA but aren't imports supposed to a once in a long
while sort of thing?

Jim Lane
Sr. Technical Consultant
Network Services
Toronto Hydro
office: (416)-542-2820
cell: (416)-896-8576

>>> CalderonL@GOALAMO.COM 20-Dec-02 10:29:31 AM >>>
We just implemented a P660 with 2 CPU's 550 MHz and 3 GB of RAM.
Running a
Oracle 8.1.7.3.0 database with 920 MB SGA, slow response time when
running
imports. We notice high CPU consumption and high rate of paging. Server
is
on AIX 4.3.3, any suggestions what we should be looking at?

Linda Calderon