Re: aio minservers

From: Adams Kevin J (kevin.adams@PHS.COM)
Date: Thu Dec 05 2002 - 16:36:08 EST

Holger/Lamar,

did a quick search of google and found this:

My understanding is that whatever value you set as min will get started
at boot time as root. Then, as more aio servers are needed, they are
started under the UID of the process needing them, in this case Oracle.
My guess would be that before you made your changes the min value was
lower, lets say 10, so you would see 10 aios owned by root, then oracle
would spawn a bunch more, lets say 20, and these would be owed by
oracle. I think all you are seeing is that your min number is
sufficient to keep oracle happy.

and this:

It isn't a problem if you have no aioserver process with oracle UID.
It's only mean that your system didn't need more aioserver since the last
boot.

The MINIMUM number of aioserver is the number of aioserver launch at the
boot, with root UID, available for all process.

If an application request an aioserver and none are available at this time
then a new one start (if the actual number isn't already equal to the
MAXIMUM number) with the application UID => this new aioserver is available
only for application with the same UID.

They seem to agree with each other.

Kevin Adams