Re: Chaning Installation Method to Migration

From: Sukhjeet Singh (Sukhjeets@INVERA.COM)
Date: Tue Dec 03 2002 - 10:05:31 EST

>From the AIX install study guide:

2.1.3.2 Missing Migration Installation option
If the Migration Installation option is not selectable as you would expect
when
migrating from one AIX version to another (for example 4.2 to 4.3), there is
an
incorrect pad string in the boot logical volume (BLV). This wrong system
information can happen, for example, if a migration attempt was canceled or
did not succeed.
A way to overcome this is to use the blvset command, which resets the pad
string. Use the -g flag to get the pad string and the -p flag to put the pad
string.
For 4.X systems, use blvset in the following way:
# /usr/lpp/bosinst/blvset -d /dev/hdisk0 -p level
The blvset program is expecting a version string from the standard input.
Enter the version number, for example 4.2, and press Enter.
This example illustrates a pad string reset from a broken 4.2 to 4.3
migration,
where the rootvg is located on hdisk0.
After you have updated the pad strings, you can retry the Migration
Installation.

Sukhjeet Singh.