Clone fails at end LED 554

From: Green, Simon (SGreen@KRAFTEUROPE.COM)
Date: Thu Nov 28 2002 - 10:36:35 EST

Last week, I conducted a disaster recovery test for one of our SP2s. Not
the first time, by any means!

The first step was the recovery of the CWS. The real one is an F50, running
AIX 4.3.3 ML08 and PSSP 3.2; rootvg is not mirrored. The one at the DR site
is also an F50 but with slightly different hardware, notably a different
graphics adapter and some extra 10/100 ethernet adapters. The mksysb was on
DLT.

The last successful test used all the same hardware, but was at ML06 and
PSSP 3.1.1.

As usual, I set about cloning the CWS, using a fairly recent AIX install CD,
(shipped to us at the beginning of this year when we received some new p660
servers).

All went well, and the installation proceeded as usual. An hour or so
later, the install was completed and the server rebooted - nothing strange
so far. However, after a while it got stuck with LED 554: IPL device could
not be opened or a read failed.

We tried all manner of things to overcome this; savebase, bosboot, messing
with the bootlist, logform, rebuilding hd8, assorted messing with inittab.
None of it helped: no matter what we did it still came back with 554.

Eventually, we re-installed directly from the mksysb tape: no CD involved.
This worked OK. Obviously the extra drivers weren't loaded, so no graphics
and only the integrated ethernet, but everything else was fine, so it
doesn't appear that there was a fundamental problem with the mksysb tape.

Has anyone come across this problem? Any brilliant ideas?