rsh shutdown clients leaves a defunct process

From: Michelle DeVault (adsmigmo@YAHOO.COM)
Date: Wed Nov 27 2002 - 15:03:01 EST

Occasionally I will need to shut down some or all of
the client workstations on our network. Usually I run
a simple script from the server that checks to see if
the box is up, and if so issues a

rsh <client> shutdown -F & > /dev/null

The clients shut down ok, but the server will have
have the "rsh <client> shutdown -F" plus a defunct
process left hanging for each one. I have to come in
the next day and manually kill all these.

Is it the "&" that is doing this?

M.