raid5 and intra-policy

From: Holger.VanKoll@SWISSCOM.COM
Date: Wed Nov 27 2002 - 12:04:43 EST

Hello,

if I have non-raid disks (just "normal") disks I can use intra-policy to place lvīs. Sometimes you gain nothing here, sometimes quite a lot (reduce head-movement).

If you use raid5 (f.e. on ssa) you see f.e. 1 logical disk (PV) but have 5 physical disks.

My question: Does the raid-controller throw away my placement-commands or does it implement them?
I see no reason why it should throw them away, but thats not an answer to this question...

Can anybody answer this for ssa/hds/emc or whatever?

Regards,

Holger