Re: performance problem - and 2 questions about oracle

From: Gene Sais (Gsais@CO.PALM-BEACH.FL.US)
Date: Wed Nov 27 2002 - 09:55:25 EST

Oracle db_block_size can NOT be changed after the db is created prior to 9i. DB_BLOCK_SIZE is recommended to be at least a multiple of i/o block size.

hth,
Gene

>>> SGreen@KRAFTEUROPE.COM 11/25/02 07:19AM >>>
Your fr:sr ratio looks very high to me; I have only seen figures that high
in systems short of memory, although it's usually been accompanied by more
paging than you are seeing.

You have quite a high I/O Wait. How much of this is to your page spaces and

how much is normal I/O?

I am not aware of any document that describes how to set the Oracle
blocksize
for AIX. Generally, batch-type processing benefits more from high block
sizes
than on-line type, in my experience.

To get a better idea of memory utilisation, use svmon. Something like...
svmon -P -v -t 20 > /a/file

That'll show you the top 20 processes, sorted by the size of their virtual
storage, (i.e. paging space + real memory). You can try a larger number,
but
it can put quite a strain on the system if you get too high; not good on an
already busy system. Once you have this information you can try to get an
idea of how much space the biggest processes really need, and what
proportion
of that is typically paged out. From this, you can try to judge how much
more
memory would be required to keep more pages in memory. I've usually found
the
summary figures to be the most useful.

Since increasing minfree improved things, and you're not paging a great
deal,
I suspect that you don't need much more memory.

Simon Green
Philip Morris ITSC Europe