Re: how to check the length of a variable in ksh?

From: cbaker@GOODYEAR.COM
Date: Thu Nov 21 2002 - 13:52:32 EST

Bill,

Your answer is pretty good, and is the way I used, but:

1) You need to put double quotes about the $i

     if (( $(expr "$i" : ".*") > 5 ))

because the variable could contain imbedded spaces, null, etc.

2)After seeing Craig's solution, (one that I never knew about)

     if (( ${#variable} > 5 ))

I think I like that even better.

Christopher M. Baker
Senior Technical Support Analyst
DSE/TCO
Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company

Contains Confidential and/or Proprietary Information.
May not be copied or disseminated without the expressed
written consent of The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company.

                    Bill Thompson
                    <bill.thompson@GOO To: aix-l@Princeton.EDU
                    DYEAR.COM> cc:
                    Sent by: IBM AIX Subject: Re: how to check the length of a variable in ksh?
                    Discussion List
                    <aix-l@Princeton.E

                    11/21/2002 12:50
                    PM
                    Please respond to
                    IBM AIX Discussion
                    List

if (( $(expr $i : ".*") > 5 ))
then
        do something
fi

Bill Thompson
Sr UNIX Systems Administrator
The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co.

Contains Confidential and/or Proprietary Information
May Not Be Copied or Disseminated Without Express Consent of The Goodyear
Tire & Rubber Company.

AIX-L Archives: http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=aix-l&r=1&w=2