Re: Help spec'ing out a new server

From: Bill Verzal (Bill_Verzal@BCBSIL.COM)
Date: Mon Oct 28 2002 - 08:48:52 EST

I would opt for multiple CPU's, so a 6-way would probably be better for a
database server, but you would need to check run-q depth versus CPU
utilization to be sure.

Bill Verzal
Technical Consultant
Forbes Technical Consulting
(312) 653-3684
bill_verzal@bcbsil.com
MailStop: 27.202B

                    "Theresa
                    Sarver" To: aix-l@Princeton.EDU
                    <IFMC.tsarver@ cc:
                    SDPS.ORG> Subject: Help spec'ing out a new server
                    Sent by: "IBM
                    AIX Discussion
                    List"
                    <aix-l@Princet
                    on.EDU>

                    10/25/2002
                    04:43 PM
                    Please respond
                    to "IBM AIX
                    Discussion
                    List"

Hi all;

This is a rather odd post, but I'm looking for a little guidence in picking
out a new Oracle database server. I'll tell you what I have in mind and
I'd appreiate any advice on the matter.

As is now we have an SP node with the following spec's:
4-375Mhz CPU's
4GB RAM
2GB Paging

Running the following databases:

NAME USERS SIZE SGA [total] Size in 3 years
DB1 1500 100GB 500MB Double in size
DB2 80 10GB 115MB Double in size
DB3 70 4GB 80MB Double in size

This node sits at 100% CPU utilization almost constantly. Paging isn't a
big constant issue, though depending on what the users are doing then it
becomes one. The DBA's and I have worked nearly every angle and we cannot
get the CPU utilization to drop. Oh, and FYI...we're looking to upgrade to
Oracle 9i fairly soon and I can't find a whole lot of info on any
additional overhead the 9i product may have.

Anyway, I've been told to spec out a new [IBM] server, I had the P660-6H1
in mind w/ 6-750Mhz (would 600 MHz suffice? - or for that matter could I
get away with 4-750Mhz processers?) processors and 8 GB of RAM. Does this
sound like it would work okay? Does anyone have any other suggestions or
recommendations? I'm just not real familiar with Oracle and what it
requires to be happy.

Thanks in advance for your help;
Theresa