Re: Problem unmounting a fs

From: Green, Simon (SGreen@KRAFTEUROPE.COM)
Date: Fri Oct 25 2002 - 06:02:01 EDT

All this is going to do is display a block of data in a filesystem. Unless
one knows what's supposed to be there, it's not going to mean anything.
Presumably, Justin thinks that there's some specific value which should be
there and could get corrupted. (He may be right; I don't know off hand.)

Personally, I don't think it's a good idea to do this sort of thing
routinely. Sure: if a filesystem is broken and fsdb is the only way to fix
it, but not otherwise. Unless one understands the JFS structure and is
up-to-date on any changes IBM may have made, it may do more harm than good.

If there is a persistent problem, start by ensuring that you always run
fsck.

Simon Green
Philip Morris ITSC Europe