Re: HACMP Question

From: Bill Thompson (wht@NEO.RR.COM)
Date: Fri Oct 18 2002 - 13:10:33 EDT

Regarding the concern about not having a serial connection. I've come to
think if you're network is configured correctly it's not as important as it
used to be. In our high availability environments we have both public (WAN)
and private (LAN) connections using different network connections (different
switches, routers, etc.). The only way heartbeats could not get through
would be for multiple network failures or for the TCP/IP subsystem to fail.
The first is highly improbable (we've eliminated a single point of failure).
The second is perhaps equally improbable - when's the last time the TCP/IP
subsystem failed on an AIX machined? But, even if it did fail on one
machine, wouldn't you want the failover machine to take over?

For anybody that's familiar with HP's ServiceGuard you'll find that as a
rule they do not use a secondary method to receive heartbeats. A serial
connection is not even supported on more than a two node cluster. I thought
this was terrible when I first go into ServiceGuard but with the proper LAN
connections, this has never been an issue.

I realize IBM *highly* recommends a secondary connection, but I wouldn't let
that be my deciding factor.

Just my 2 cents.

Bill Thompson
Sr UNIX Systems Administrator
The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co.

Contains Confidential and/or Proprietary Information
May Not Be Copied or Disseminated Without Express Consent of The Goodyear
Tire & Rubber Company.

AIX-L Archives: http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=aix-l&r=1&w=2