Re: aix jfslog explanation please

From: Aaron Morris (aaronmorris@MINDSPRING.COM)
Date: Wed Oct 16 2002 - 13:51:47 EDT

If I understand JFS correctly, it doesn't log (journal) data itself,
only the meta-data (time-stamps, filename, etc.). Data is not committed
in the transaction, data is written to the filesystem whenever a write
operation occurs (not taking FS/drive/controller cache into account).
Every few seconds the meta-data is committed, this is why you could
potentially lose the entire contents of a file if the power is lost
before a meta-data commit occurs.

JFS and JFS2 cannot journal data.

-Aaron Morris