Re: Error Log, Tape SIM/MIM Record

From: Green, Simon (SGreen@KRAFTEUROPE.COM)
Date: Tue Oct 15 2002 - 13:37:23 EDT

You need to look at the tape drive manual. I think that the information you
need is in "gc35-0154 IBM SCSI Tape Drive, Medium Changer, and Library
Device Drivers Installation and User's Guide". I can't find a copy on the
internet, but I'm sure it must be around somewhere. Try here:
http://www.storage.ibm.com/hardsoft/tape/pubs/prodpubs.html
Alternatively, scour your machine room.

If I had to make a guess, I'd say it's probably because the drive needs
cleaning, (you'll note it's only an INFO error report).

With older 3590s sometimes the cleaning cartridge is insufficient and you
need to get an engineer in to do a more thorough job. You get a message
_like_ yours for routine cleaning; if you're getting a lot, and maybe I/O
errors, then you need to get an engineer in. But have a look through the
manuals; if you work through everything you should be able to identify
exactly what its complaining about.

Simon Green
Philip Morris ITSC Europe

<SNIP>