Re: migrating a filesystem/lv from one disk to two disks

From: Holger.VanKoll@swisscom.com
Date: Fri Oct 11 2002 - 13:13:29 EDT

after doing some testing I assume the following:

1) If the lv is striped, aix-lvm will start the reads on all drives
simultaneously.

2) If the lv is only distributed among several pv, it will read the pps
on the first pv, and then read the pps on the second pv etc.

Its hard to find this out reliably by testing... I would be easier if
there were strip-sizes at 4mb (that would correspond to the pp-size)...
Thats why I am not sure here.

If I am right, that would mean that one gains nothing by this "poor-mans
stripe" in almost any cases.

Can anyone confirm my assumption? I am quite sure about 1) but not about
2)