Re: migrating a filesystem/lv from one disk to two disks

From: Green, Simon (SGreen@KRAFTEUROPE.COM)
Date: Fri Oct 11 2002 - 12:32:02 EDT

The difference is in the stripe size. Doing striping at the partition level
gives you strips of, say 16MB. A proper striped LV will have stripes of a
few kB. An I/O operation will only benefit from striping if it is writing
data that spans two stripes. That's not terribly likely with a 16MB stripe;
probably only going to affect backup/recovery and things like tablespace
scans.

With a smaller stripe, many more I/O operations will be able to benefit.

I can't comment on which is best for you.

Simon Green
Philip Morris ITSC Europe

AIX-L Archive at http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=aix-l
<http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=aix-l&r=1&w=2> &r=1&w=2