Re: striping swap 4.3.3

From: Green, Simon (SGreen@KRAFTEUROPE.COM)
Date: Fri Oct 11 2002 - 06:46:58 EDT

I'm not sure off-hand whether striping is supported for swap spaces.
However, because of the way they're used I don't believe that there would be
any performance advantage to striping.

Each individual paging operation is for quite a small amount of data - 4k -
so no single page in/out will benefit from striping. Once the system's been
running for a while, pages will be scattered throughout the swap space, so
there will always be head movement.

All you can do is make sure that the swap space is contiguous, and in the
highest-performing area of the disk, (typically in the middle, if it's
shared with a lot of other data).

Of course, if you're not doing any paging - the best situation - then the
performance of the swap spaces is irrelevant.

Simon Green
Philip Morris ITSC Europe