Re: Comparing p660 6H1 and 6M1

From: Bill Verzal (Bill_Verzal@BCBSIL.COM)
Date: Mon Sep 30 2002 - 12:50:56 EDT

Download the RS/6000 Product Handbook from redbooks.ibm.com. It will
probably answer most of these questions.

Bill.

Bill Verzal
Technical Consultant
Forbes Technical Consulting
(312) 653-3684
bill_verzal@bcbsil.com
MailStop: 27.202B

                    "Wesley Joyce"
                    <Wesley.Joyce@ To: aix-l@Princeton.EDU
                    UVI.EDU> cc:
                    Sent by: "IBM Subject: Re: Comparing p660 6H1 and 6M1
                    AIX Discussion
                    List"
                    <aix-l@Princet
                    on.EDU>

                    09/30/2002
                    11:04 AM
                    Please respond
                    to "IBM AIX
                    Discussion
                    List"

Thanks for the responses so far everyone. The 660 using the RS64 IV
processor and the 630 uses the POWER4. What are the major differences
between the two? Links or .pdfs would be appreciated also.

The H50 is a PowerPC 604e, is that the same as the RS64 III (thinking the
answer is NO)? Again, a link or .pdf that discusses the history of IBMs
processor architectures would be helpful. I have "IBM's Eserver pSeries
and IBM RS/6000 Facts and Figures" dated August 28th, 2002 which doesn't
discuss the H50 at all. Coming from an H50, should I be concerned with
what processor architecture is chosen (Power4 or RS64 IV)? I will be
running AIX 4.3.3 on any new box that is purchased.

Thanks again for any info.

At 11:10 AM 9/30/2002, you wrote:

>The 6M1 also supports more memory: 64GB rather than 32GB.
>
>Unless you really need more power or memory than the 6H1 offers, I
wouldn't
>go for a 6M1; they're significantly more expensive. The 6H1 is quite good
>value for money and a lot more powerful than an H50.
>
>Even if you _do_ need more power, I'm not sure that the 6M1 would be the
box
>to go for these days; something like a 670 might be an interesting
>alternative.
>
>We've got three p660-6H1s and apart from a few initial problems with AIX
>levels, (you need quite a high maintenance level for 433) they seem pretty
>good. Two of them are in HACMP clusters, (not with each other).
>
>If you're seriously considering a 6M1 it's probably not relevant, but the
>p630-6C4 looks like quite a nice package. Newer hardware, supports LPAR
and
>only 4U, rather than 10 for a p660.
>
>Simon Green
>Philip Morris ITSC Europe
>
>AIX-L Archive at http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=aix-l&r=1&w=2
>AIX FAQ at http://www.faqs.org/faqs/aix-faq/
>
>N.B. Unsolicited email from vendors will seldom be appreciated.

---