Re: actual space used.

From: Barnhart, Troy (TBarnhart@RCRH.ORG)
Date: Fri Sep 27 2002 - 14:00:16 EDT

take a look at the "mklv" command - the lv's are created in "raw" vs. "jfs,
etc."
these raw files can take up considerable space but are not reported
anywhere.

from the IBM Doco Library:
-------
Defining a Raw Logical Volume for an Application:
This procedure is used to define an area of physical and logical disk space
that
is under the direct control of an application rather than under control of
the
operating system and file system. The applications use character (raw) input
and
output rather than the block input and output of file systems, which require
more
software overhead. Bypassing the file system overhead enables applications
perform better. Raw logical volumes are most commonly used with database
applications because of their need for high performance. While there is
ordinarily
a significant increase in performance, the actual amount of the increase
depends
on the database size and the driver provided by the application.
-------

now, on one of my aix boxes i had the DBA put his data on top of my drives
built
with jfs. (I know it's not a "best practice" always, but i built the
filesystems
to match physical drive size. the oracle vg's are dedicated, so i build
them full.
i'm more space-limitation-conscious w/ my rootvg, though.)

but with a recent additional aix - the application vendor requires his
oracle
tablespaces to be datafiles on raw lv's.

But how can i see the "null space"???

combo of lslv and df-k ???

I'm sure someone has run into trouble being able to know how much space you
have
left...

troy

Troy Barnhart, Sr. Systems Programmer,