Re: Changeing IP addresses in /etc/qconfig

From: Green, Simon (SGreen@KRAFTEUROPE.COM)
Date: Wed Sep 18 2002 - 04:55:16 EDT

I would recommend that you change your printer definitions to use hostnames;
it makes life much simpler and will be easier for people to understand in
years to come.

The "device" entry is an arbitrary label. The system takes it from the
hostname when the queue is set up through smit, but it doesn't have to be.

You can change the IP addresses in /etc/qconfig, but I'm pretty sure you
need to refresh the daemons. stopsrc -g spooler; startsrc -g spooler. This
will take out all of your printers, briefly.

If you used a hostname, you'd simply have to stop and re-start the
particular print queue after changing your hosts file or DNS. (We've done a
lot of these recently and the only difficulty is co-ordinating the change in
AIX with the change to the printer's IP address.)