Scripting Help

From: Dave Shep (dave.shepherd@COMPASS-GROUP.CO.UK)
Date: Tue Sep 10 2002 - 06:01:39 EDT

All,

   I need some help. I have very limited knowledge of awk/sed, and have
been asked to parse a file in the following way;

   Single plain text file, containing multiple accounts.
   Find the first account, check the following pages, if account changes,
output all pages containing original account to new file (named by
account), and continue through file following the same logic.
   The pages are seperated by ^M^L, but the account number is 16 or 8 lines
into the page, depending on whether it is the first page or not.
   This is way way above my head, but was wondering if any of you guy's or
gal's had done anything similar in the past that could point me in the
right direction. I've looked through the O'Reilly book, but can't seem to
see anything relevant.

   They won't let me put an example file online, as it contains sensitive
data, sorry :-(

   TIA for any help.

Dave