Re: about aio

From: Adams Kevin J (kevin.adams@PHS.COM)
Date: Thu Aug 29 2002 - 14:32:46 EDT

NMON says I'm not using AIO.

Asynchronous I/O Processes
 Total AIO processes= 10 Actually in use= 0 CPU used= 0.0%
       All time peak= 10 Recent peak= 0 Peak= 0.0% (use 0 to
reset)

We use Sybase via raw logical volumes that supposedly requires AIO to even
startup. Sybase does not complain.

Here is my AIO setup:

# lsattr -El aio0
minservers 10 MINIMUM number of servers True
maxservers 100 MAXIMUM number of servers True
maxreqs 4096 Maximum number of REQUESTS True
kprocprio 39 Server PRIORITY True
autoconfig available STATE to be configured at system restart True
fastpath enable State of fast path True

# pstat -A|grep aio
 39 s 27a1 1f90 unbound RR 27 0 aioserver
 41 s 2971 2568 unbound RR 27 0 aioserver
 48 s 3065 1c42 unbound RR 27 0 aioserver
 49 s 3167 1e46 unbound RR 27 0 aioserver
 51 s 3379 1452 unbound RR 27 0 aioserver
 52 s 346d 163e unbound RR 27 0 aioserver
 53 s 356f 2650 unbound RR 27 0 aioserver
 54 s 3671 2752 unbound RR 27 0 aioserver
 55 s 3775 2856 unbound RR 27 0 aioserver
 56 s 3875 2956 unbound RR 27 0 aioserver

We have 32 SSA disk and 24 ESS disks.

I would think I would be using more than minimum. I assume AIO is needed at
the hdisk level and not pdisk.

So, whats going on here. How can I tell for sure?

Kevin Adams