Re: Scripts for sending files to mailbox outside system

From: Bill Thompson (wht@NEO.RR.COM)
Date: Tue Aug 27 2002 - 11:34:41 EDT

Brian,

I've seen two answers to this question both of which directed you to a third
party piece of software (mutt and matt). While these may work just fine, why
not just use the programs that come with the system? Whether you have a text
file, the output of a command, or a tar file you want send as an attachment,
mailx works for me:

mailx -s "Subject Goes Here" email_address@foo.com <<EOF

Below is the contents of the file "output.file":

$(cat output.file)

Here is a listing of the files in /foo/bar:

$(ls -la /foo/bar)

Attached is a tar file:

$(uuencode tarfile.name tarfile.name)

EOF

Bill Thompson
Sr UNIX Systems Administrator
The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co.

Contains Confidential and/or Proprietary Information
May Not Be Copied or Disseminated Without Express Consent of The Goodyear
Tire & Rubber Company.

AIX-L Archives: http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=aix-;&r=1&w=2