Re: IBM Training for p690

From: Darryl E. Marsee (fcldem@NERSP.NERDC.UFL.EDU)
Date: Fri Aug 23 2002 - 15:44:20 EDT

On Fri, 23 Aug 2002, Green, Simon wrote:

> We're getting a couple of p690s soon and I'm likely to be involved
> in supporting them, so I've been looking at training. IBM UK list
> two courses ... Can anyone offer an opinion on either of these?
>
> System Administration for High End SMP Servers (this one doesn't
> appear to be running at the moment)

I have not taken that one.

> pSeries LPAR for AIX

I took this one a couple of months ago. The first half focused on the
p690 itself (system architecture, hardware components, power
management, diagnostics), and the other half on partitioning
(concepts, planning, managing, configuring). It is a very useful
course to learn your way around a p690 if you are new to one and
offers many tips on how to get the most out of it.

> Will I be able to manage without additional training?

Most likely. It would just probably be easier with the course.

> I'm also looking at another course:
> AIX5L Implementation Differences.

This class is listed as a pre-requisite to the pSeries LPAR one, so I
took it the week before. It primarily focused on the SysV print
subsystem, JFS2, and using the WSM. To be honest, I did not think
there was much in the class that was really necessary to take the LPAR
one, and studying the associated Redbook a bit might be a sufficient
substitute.

Regards,

Darryl Marsee
Florida Center for Library Automation