Re: Sendmail

From: Barry Finkel (b19141@ACHILLES.CTD.ANL.GOV)
Date: Thu Aug 22 2002 - 12:42:16 EDT

>If a line exists such as:
>
>45 23 * * 6 ulimit 5000; /usr/lib/smdemon.cleanu > /dev/null
>
>Doesn't that already take care of the Queue as well as the mail log files? I
>think that line is actually in the crontab by default and only needs to be
>uncommented.

That cron, if uncommented, will do some cleanup at 23:45 every Saturday.
I am not sure what cleanup is done. I doubt that it will do what

     sendmail -q

does -- process the existing mail queue. You want to process the
queue periodically. Every 30 minutes was suggested, and that is what
we do here. If you try to send mail and there is a problem, you do not
want to discover sometime in the distant future when you run "mailq"
on your machine and see that outbound mail has been queued for many
months.
Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
Argonne National Laboratory Phone: +1 (630) 252-7277
9700 South Cass Avenue Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-4601
Building 222, Room D209 Internet: BSFinkel@anl.gov
Argonne, IL 60439-4828 IBMMAIL: I1004994