Re: Maximum group number

From: Sandor W. Sklar (ssklar@STANFORD.EDU)
Date: Mon Aug 19 2002 - 18:02:19 EDT

On Monday, August 19, 2002, at 01:01 PM, Michelle DeVault wrote:

> Are there any adverse consequences to increasing this
> number? Do I increase it on the nfs server or client?

If you change it in that include file, the value will only be changed
in applications that you subsequently compile that use that file. It
won't do you any good for applications that are already compiled; also,
there probably is a real reason why that number is 64; I doubt it is
arbitrary.

In short, changing the value of NGROUPS_MAX in /usr/include/grp.h will
not have the desired effect, and will probably break things that you
may compile in the future.

-s-