Re: WebSphere and HACMP

From: Steven Langdale (Langdale_Steven@PERKINS.COM)
Date: Fri Aug 16 2002 - 04:22:56 EDT

Aaron make a good point further up about webshere's native HA support, but
if you really do want to use it within HACMP it MAY work on the same
machine.

It all depends on what the app needs the hostname for & what it does with
it. For instance, we have 2 apps that can fail over to each others servers
that need different names. We are lucky in that while both apps insist on
the correct hostname on STARTUP, they don't care if it changes. So both
application startup scripts set the name to what they want and then startup
OK.

If your lucky this may work for you.

Thanks

Steven

                    "Green, Simon"
                    <SGreen@KRAFTE To: aix-l@Princeton.EDU
                    UROPE.COM> cc:
                    Sent by: IBM
                    AIX Discussion
                    List
                    <aix-l@Princet Subject: Re: WebSphere and HACMP
                    on.EDU>

                    08/15/2002
                    17:49
                    Please respond
                    to IBM AIX
                    Discussion
                    List

Perkins: Confidential Green Retain Until: 09/14/2002
                                         Retention Category: G90 -
                                         Information and Reports

This is NOT binding in that sense.

I assume it's like SAP: the startsap command gets the system hostname, and
uses that to determine what command to run. The system has to be
configured
to run with a specific hostname, so if it changes - because HACMP has
changed the hostname to support a different application - SAP won't start.

It's clearly impossible to have two different hostnames on the same system.
The only way around it I can see is either to configure the application so
that it will work with either hostname, or to use an alias for the
hostname,
(or uname or whatever) command, which will generate the desired value.

Simon Green
Philip Morris ITSC Europe