Re: Import 24,000 users

From: -ray (ray@OPS.SELU.EDU)
Date: Wed Aug 14 2002 - 21:49:12 EDT

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, Aaron W Morris wrote:

> Does each user correspond to a separate email account? If so, perhaps
> you should look into a virtual email account system. I have not done
> this with sendmail, but I have with qmail. Every account can be under a
> single user ID on the box and you can use a separate password checking
> utility with qmail's pop3d that uses its own passwd file instead of the
> system's.

Yes, each AIX user is an email account. I think Notes, and the
sendmail.com product can maintain their own user database. But the
sendmail.org sendmail relies an a Unix user existing for each mail
account, as far as i know.

> Otherwise, if the system really needs all 24,000 users, perhaps
> something like NIS is in order.

True, and if i start adding multiple mail servers, i may look at this.
However, for the first machine (the NIS master), you still need a way to
get all the users on there!

I believe i have it solved by creating /etc/passwd manually, and using
usrck, pwdck, and grpck to get the /etc/security files in order. Then
creating home directories manually (with a script). I don't think mkuser
was ever intended to add this many users! Also i am not adding each user
to /etc/group, but the gid in /etc/passwd does point to a valid group.
Not sure if this will cause any fallout, but i don't plan to use group
permissions much anyway.

-Ray