Re: move SAN disks to move LPAR

From: Dieter Zavelberg (dieter.zavelberg@POSTBANK.DE)
Date: Fri May 14 2004 - 03:03:08 EDT

Hi *,

here's my promised answer.
We had to move an p630's LPAR with only SAN disks to a
p650 box.
The job is done now, the LPAR is working.
To avoid the below mentioned WWN stuff (from my original
posting), we did it in that easylazy way:

All Fibrechannel adapters and fibers of the 630-LPAR were taken
and moved to the 650 box/IO-drawers. After defining and activating a
LPAR with these resources we had to choose "select {1st|2nd} boot
device" from the SMS menu which in turn showed us the disks formerly
owned by the 630-LPAR.
After exiting the menus the 650 booted and was available (we moved
the network cables too).

Regards
Dieter

>>> 19th April 2004
Hi folks,

I'm still waiting for add. CPUs and RAM for the 650.
I will post you the result of the move!

Thank u for your answers

Dieter

>>>08th April 2004
Hi *,

I've a p630 LPAR with all disks (rootvg, xxvg, ...)
located in a SAN (no internal disks!).
I want to "move" that LPAR to a p650 by changing the
WWN zoning, i.e. by removing the p630's FC adapters
from and assigning the p650's FC adapters to the
corresponding LUNs.

Has anyone done that with success (or no success)?

Thx and Reagrds,
Dieter